Banana Pudding Cake
I have noticed that I have only posted two desserts in My Favorite Recipes. So, I thought I would post something I created myself, Banana Pudding Cake. I wasn’t the first to make one (I discovered after the fact). However, my baking instructor had not heard of it and didn’t think it would taste very good. It was my cake final. I got an A.
Ingredients For High Ratio Cake; Makes one 8″ cake @ 1# 8oz:
5.3 oz Eggs, whole, room temp
2.64 oz Water, cold #1
7 oz Cake Flour
.2 oz fine grain salt
.7 oz Dry Milk Powder
.3 oz Baking powder
3 oz Emulsified shortening
7 oz Granulated sugar
1.3 oz Water, cold #2
Ingredients For Chantilly Cream:
1 lb. 8 oz Heavy Cream
2.25 oz Confectioner’s Sugar
6.5 oz water
6.5 oz sugar
Ingredients for Banana flavored Pastry Cream:
9.75 oz Milk
.5 oz sugar #1
.65 oz cornstarch
2 oz sugar #2
2 oz egg yolks
1.20 oz butter
.25 oz vanilla extract
.25 oz banana extract
For cake layer toppings:
2 sliced bananas
For top decoration use dried banana chips
1. Prepare cake pans and set aside. I personally like wiping the surface and sides with butter or shortening, and coating with a light layer of flour to ensure that cake doesn’t stick.
2. Combine the whole eggs with the cold water #1; whisk together and set aside.
3. Sift together the cake flour, salt, dry milk powder, and baking powder.
4. Place the sifted dry ingredients, shortening, sugar, and one-third of the egg water mixture into a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment.
5. Blend on low speed for 4 minutes; scrape the bowl well.
6. Add one more third of the egg-water mixture, and mix for 4 minutes on low speed; scrape the bowl well.
7. Add the remaining one-third of the egg-water mixture, and mix for 4 minutes on low speed; scrape the bowl well.
8. Add cold water #2 and mix until smooth.
9. Portion 1 pound 8 ounces of batter into each prepared ring.
10. Bake at 360 degrees F until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center, about 30-40 minutes.
11. Cool. You must allow the cake layers to cool completely. It’s easier to work with.
For Chantilly Cream:
Whip heavy cream with confectioners sugar to a medium to stiff peaks.
〈 A few drops of vanilla may be added.
〈 Chantilly cream is sweetened whipped cream that may or may not be flavored.
Place sugar and water into saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved.
For Banana Flavored Pastry Cream:
1. Bring milk and the first sugar to a boil. Mix together the cornstarch and second sugar with a whisk. Mix egg yolks into cornstarch mixture.
2. Temper hot milk into cornstarch/yolk mixture, return to the pot. Bring back to a second boil for 15 seconds stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
Mise en place (Get everything ready) You should have these things in place and ready to go:
High ratio cake, chantilly cream, simple syrup, fresh bananas sliced, banana flavored pastry cream
1. Torte cake layer into three.
2. Crumble cake top and toast, process in robot coupe
3. Place a cake layer on an 8” cardboard disc.
4. Moisten with simple syrup.
5. Spread out a thin layer of Chantilly cream on top.
6. Pipe a ring around outer edge of cake layer using Chantilly cream.
7. Place sliced bananas on top of the cake layer.
8. Spread out banana flavored pastry cream on top of bananas and even out.
9. Place second cake layer on top and press down gently.
10. Moisten with simple syrup.
11. Spread out a thin layer of Chantilly cream on top.
12. Pipe a ring around the outer edge of cake layer using Chantilly cream.
13. Place sliced bananas on top of the cake layer.
14. Spread out banana flavored pastry cream on top of the bananas and even out.
15. Place third cake layer on top and press down gently.
16. Moisten with simple syrup.
17. Ice entire cake with Chantilly cream; mark top into 12 equal slices.
18. Place toasted cake crumbs around the bottom edge of cake.
19. Decorate top with Chantilly cream rosettes and a banana chip in the center of each rosette.
20. Lightly sprinkle toasted crumbs over top of cake.