This is also a recipe from my previous school. We served it with the Risotto a la Milanese, a recipe I shared a few days ago. I am sure you will enjoy this dish. It is a very good and tasty dish, especially with the risotto.
VEAL SHANK 8 PCS –2” thick
FLOUR FOR DUSTING
S&P TO TASTE
OLIVE OIL 4 OZ
MIREPOIX, BRUNOISE 4 OZ (1/2 diced onion, 1/4 diced carrot, 1/4 celery)
2 – 3 Cloves garlic, minced
white wine 4 OZ
tomato puree 2 OZ
veal stock 1 PINT
bouquet garni 1 EA ( fresh thyme, parsley, bay leaf and any other herbs you like, bundled together with butcher’s twine)
parsley 2 TBSP
lemon juice 1 OZ
GREMOLATA: PARSLEY, CHOPPED 1 TBSP
GARLIC MINCED 1 CLOVE
LEMON ZEST, GRATED 1 LEMON
- SEASON AND FLOUR SHANKS. SAUTE IN HOT OIL. REMOVE FROM PAN.
- ADD MIREPOIX, SAUTE 2 – 3 MINUTES. ADD GARLIC AND SAUTE LIGHTLY.
- ADD WINE AND REDUCE AU SEC.
- ADD TOMATO PUREE AND STIR. ADD VEAL STOCK AND BRING TO A BOIL. PUT VEAL SHANKS BACK IN PAN. LIQUID SHOULD COME AT LEAST HALFWAY UP PRODUCT.
- ADD BOUQUET GARNI AND COVER. SIMMER VEAL SHANKS FOR 30 MINUTES.
- ADD THE LEMON and PARSLEY. CONTINUE TO SIMMER UNTIL THE SHANKS ARE VERY TENDER.
- REMOVE BOUQUET GARNI AND VEAL SHANKS. STRAIN THE SAUCE OVER THE SHANKS AND GARNISH WITH THE GREMOLATA.