Curry chicken is a nice recipe for busy weeknights, with chicken breasts, onion, potatoes, and carrots all cooked together in one dish. Feel free to use chicken thighs instead of breasts, and to replace the curry paste with 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons curry powder if needed.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
1 pound of boneless chicken breast
2 potatoes, peeled, chopped into chunks
1 red onion, diced
10 baby carrots, washed, drained, cut in half
2 Tbsp oil for frying
2 Tbsp curry paste (traditional Indian yellow curry paste is best)
1 cup of chicken broth
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Heat a wok of deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the heated wok. When the oil is hot, add the onion.
- Stir-fry until the onion is softened and translucent.
- Add the curry paste and stir until fragrant. If using curry powder instead, add a small amount of water to form a paste.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry for about 5 minutes so that the chicken is browned and coated with he curry paste.
- Add the carrots and potatoes. Stir for a minute and add the chicken broth, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 15-20 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked.