This post should be called healthier junk food. I love hamburgers. I have been making due by just leaving out the hamburger buns. That’s until I found this recipe for cauliflower crust buns on http://www.theironyou.com. This recipe makes enough for 2 burgers.
Cauliflower crust “bread” buns
1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
1 free-range organic egg, lightly beaten
½ cup / 1.7 oz / 50 gr shredded mozzarella cheese
½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 hamburger patties
Your favorite burger toppings
Directions – Cauliflower crust “bread” buns
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C) and place a rack in the middle.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally grease it with oil. Set aside.
- In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets (it should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized).
- Transfer cauliflower rice (about 3 cups) to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked.
- Be careful with this step as the cauliflower will be really hot. Place the cauliflower rice in a kitchen towel (or cheesecloth or tea towel) and twist it to squeeze as much moisture as you can (I usually squeeze out over a cup of liquid). This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry, otherwise you’ll end up with mushy dough, impossible to use as hamburger buns.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, mozzarella, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Spread cauliflower mixture onto the lined baking sheet and shape into 4 rounds (used round dough cutters).