This particular cupcake does not offer a healthier choice. I’m not even interested in modifying it to make it more healthy. It would be ruined. Sometimes food IS about pleasure, strictly for our eating pleasure. And this chocolatey, banana, cream-cheesy treat will knock your socks off.
I learned to make this one at the Culinary Institute of Charleston (Trident Tech). The recipe makes 12 cupcakes. When you taste them, you will be tempted to eat them all. So, make sure you have others over to share them. Enjoy!
Warning: All ingredients should be weighed, NOT volume. In other words use a food scale, not a measuring cup.
7 oz granulated sugar
4.35 oz Flour
1.35 oz Cocoa powder
4 grams baking powder
2 grams baking soda
2 grams salt
1 whole egg
4.25 oz bananas mashed
4.25 oz water (warm)
2.15 oz milk
2.15 oz vegetable oil
2 grams vanilla
1. Whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a second bowl, whisk together egg, mashed bananas, water, milk, oil, and vanilla.
3. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine using a spatula.
4. Divide into paper lined muffin tin.
5. Bake at 360 degrees until the cupcakes spring back to touch.
Whipped Cream Icing
4 oz cream cheese (softened)
4 oz granulated sugar
.10 oz vanilla
8 oz heavy cream
1. Beat together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla
2. In a separate bowl whip up heavy cream to medium peaks.
3. Fold whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
4. You can whip the final mixture to a pipeable consistency but do not overwork the mixture.
I love this–BUT why can’t you list the items in cups/tbsp etc.?!
I could, but, it’s just easier to buy a food scale and do it that way. Besides, I’d have to weigh everything out and measure everything in cups and spoons and re-write a recipe that wasn’t even my creation. Also, what I learned in class is that weighed ingredients are more accurate.
[…] you liked the Chocolate Banana Cupcakes w/Cream Cheese Icing, you’re gonna love these. The frosting on this one is pretty much the same, but the chocolate […]