This was one of the first dishes I learned at the Culinary Institute of Charleston. It is a relatively easy recipe. I am sure you will enjoy it.
3 oz butter
12 oz Onions, medium dice
3 oz Celery, medium dice
3 lbs Broccoli, chopped
4 qt Chicken velouté sauce, hot
2 qt. Chicken stock, hot
24 Fl. oz heavy cream, hot
TT salt and white pepper
8 oz Broccoli florets
1. Sweat the onions, celery, and broccoli in the butter, without browning, until they are nearly tender.
2. Add the velouté sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender approximately 15 minutes. Skim the surface periodically.
3. Puree the soup, then strain it through a china cap.
4. Return the soup to the stove and thin it to the correct consistency with the stock.
5. Bring the soup to a simmer and add the cream. Season to taste.
6. Garnish with blanched broccoli florets just before service.
[…] This sauce is a standard French sauce, and may be used as the base of many different types of soups, such as cream of broccoli soup. […]