This is one of the first quick breads we learned at The Culinary Institute of Charleston. If you like cornbread, you will like these muffins. You might not even be able to wait for the rest of dinner to be done.
Ingredients:Note: all measurements are by weight. You need a food scale.
6 oz cornmeal
6 oz ap flour
1.5 oz granulated sugar
0.2 oz baking powder
2 grams baking soda
3 grams of salt
3 eggs (approx 5 oz)
12 oz buttermilk
4 oz canola oil
3 oz corn kernels
3 oz cheddar cheese
3 oz cooked bacon, chopped
1/2 oz fresh chives
1. Accurately measure all ingredients (mise en place)
2. Sift the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until completely smooth. Add the buttermilk, canola oil until combined.
4. Add the liquid ingredient to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
5. Gently fold in the corn kernels, cheddar, bacon and (optional) chives. Do not over mix.
6. Portion into lined muffin pans with a scoop. filling them 3/4 of the way full.
7. Bake at 375º until the center of the muffins bounces back when lightly pressed, approximately 20-25 minutes.
☚Back to Recipes