So, back in October I reported some issues with my throat and how I constantly felt like I needed to cough. And after some investigation, I discovered that the culprit was the amount of black coffee I was drinking. I think it was caffeine in general because I drink a lot of tea also. But coffee was the thing that I was drinking the most.

It has been a couple of months now. The doctor I was seeing prescribed Prilosec 80 mg a day. 40 mg in the morning and 40 mg in the evening. Ultimately, the caffeine in the coffee and the black tea were causing acid reflux. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia back in 1993. I had been taking medication for many years. However, when the heartburn symptom stopped I thought it was over. So, I stopped taking the medication. Up until this latest issue with acid reflux, I had not taken the medication for almost 2 years, except for a few times buying the OTC medication. Apparently, if you don’t change your eating habits, the medicine just enables you to keep doing what you’re doing. Just because I didn’t feel the heartburn anymore didn’t mean I was not damaging my stomach and esophagus and whatever else is in there.

I still overeat sometimes. It is a very hard habit to break. However, one day I will break the habit completely. It is a mind thing. I simply need to learn to stop eating when I hear the signal from my body to do so. Call it greed or gluttony or whatever. I am out of control when it happens. All I can do is work to do better at the next meal.

So, all of that to say that after a couple of months being back on the medication, and taking twice the amount that I have been taking in the past, I feel my throat is 95% back to normal (that’s the way it feels). The desire and feeling that I need to cough is gone. But it does surface a little bit if I drink coffee or too much black tea or overeat.

I am feeling pretty good about it. It is one more worry off of my plate. When it first started, I was certain that I must have contracted COVID-19. However, I have been blessed. Either I have not come in contact with anyone who had it or, the mask and the hand washing are doing their jobs.