This Keto King Ranch Chicken looks so good. I can’t wait to make it. I love anything remotely Mexican when it comes to food. What can I say? I’m from Texas. I got this one from my new favorite site, http://www.ruled.me.
3 cups chicken (or turkey), cut up into bite sized pieces *
1 cup turkey or chicken broth (preferably homemade)
1-2 Tbs butter or coconut oil
1/2 small onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 Tbsp red chile powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic salt
4 oz can of chopped green chile
6 oz of red salsa
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup yogurt or sour cream
16 oz grated cheese (I used creamy Jack)
6 -7 homemade tortillas (or low carb tortillas of choice)
- Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces if using raw. Dice onion and bell pepper.
- If you are using raw chicken, melt 1 Tbs of the butter or coconut oil in a pan and cook the chicken until done.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Melt additional 1 Tbs of butter or coconut oil and cook bell pepper and onion on medium low until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices to pan. Mix them well with onions and peppers and cook for approximately 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the cup of broth and stir it until you’ve loosened up all the pieces of spice on the bottom of the pan.
- Add cream, chile, and salsa, mixing well.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- At the end of 15 minutes, very carefully remove 1-1/2 cups of the hot mixture and put into an emulsion beaker or blender. (PLEASE use caution here!)
- Blend mixture until thickened. If using a stick blender, keep blender in the bottom of the beaker to avoid being burned.
- Carefully pour the blended mixture back into the pan.
- Stir well and then add yogurt. After it’s all combined, add meat.
- Mix meat into sauce and gather sauce, tortillas, and cheese. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, begin by layering sauce/meat mixture. Just put enough to wet the bottom of the pan.
- Place whole tortillas in the bottom (do not overlap), then tear another tortilla and fit it in around the empty spots.
- Ladle half the sauce/meat mixture on top of the tortillas.
- Evenly spread 1/2 of the cheese over the sauce/meat mixture.
- Repeat for the second layer, layering tortillas, then sauce, and ending with remaining cheese mixture. It’s ready for the oven!
- Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy! May be topped with additional sour cream.